Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Query XML data type

First, let me share the background story. Books were written in various language. In our library, there are book in Malay, Arabic, English and etc. The most is Arabic I think. The information of a book such as title, author, ISBN, barcode, language, subject, call number and so on were kept in MARC. MARC is Machine Readable Catalog. I will share on MARC later. MARC were kept in database in a field with longtext data type in an XML format.

 So, my task is to generate a statistic based on item's language.

  

I did successfully produce the statistic by manipulationg some PHP pre-defined function such as explode.. *_*

  

However, when it comes to huge data for example statistic for every item in the library (currently our library hold more than 50 000 items and a lot more thousands to come ) .... it stop!!! :( 

To access more than 50 000 MARCs just to get that tiny info each. Huh.... I know it must  a better and clever way to do it precisely and most important is the query performance. I'm keen to know 'how to query XML data type' even I'm not sure does it really help. At least I try. Once I got the solution, I will definitely paste it here.. 

Ok.. work hard, pray a lots..

0 comments: